19-21 May 2000
A multitude of agencies offer accommodations in apartments or homes worldwide. Surfing the Internet (search for "vacation rentals" plus the name of your intended destination) turns up dozens of options. Here's a small sampling of firms that do business in popular summer spots in Europe. Note: A seven-day minimum stay often is required.
- The London Connection. More than 150 privately owned flats in London, starting at $140 per night. Also rents in the English countryside. Paris, Amsterdam and Rome. 888-393-9120.
- In the English Manner. More than 60 privately owned flats in London, from $1,000 per week and hundreds of proper-ties throughout the United Kingdom. 800-422-0799.
- Nell Gwynn House Apartments. More than 150 flats furnished hotel-style on trendy Sloane Avenue near the South Kensington tube stop. Some have great skyline views. Studios from about $650 a week: superior two-bedroom, about $2,000 weekly. There's a 24-hour desk. 011-44-207-589-1105 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time.
- Regency International Apartments. A wide range of accommodations, from economy studios for less than $1,000 weekly to luxury flats and large villas in London, France and Italy. 888-925-6874.
- New York Habitat. Represents 2,000 privately owned vacation apartments in the Big Apple and 300 in Paris, starting at less than $100 a day. Short-stays are possible. 212-255-8018 or www.nyhabitat.com.
- Interhome. This 35-year-old firm offers thousands of privately owned vacation homes and apartments throughout Europe, including the Czech Republic, Poland and Croatia, starting at less than $500 a week. 800-882-6864.
- Rentvillas.com. Apartments and private homes offered in Europe, starting at about $500 a week. The Web site offers a screening program that highlights properties tailored to a browser's needs. 800-726-6702.