In this article we’ll provide you with museums, parks and attractions in Paris that are great for kids, so you can envision what a perfect family holiday in Paris would look like!
Paris museums the kids will love
- The Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie in Paris’ Parc de la Vilette is the biggest science museum in Europe. The museum houses a planetarium, an aquarium, a submarine, several other permanent and temporary exhibitions, and the Cité des Enfants, or City of Children. While all parts of the museum are great to explore with the kids, the City of Children is especially interesting. The City of Children offers all kinds of activities for kids to explore science and technology. The exhibition has two areas; one for 2-7 year olds and one for 5-12 year olds.
- If your kids are into dinosaurs, the Natural History Museum at the Jardin des Plantes is not to be missed. The museum has an entire building dedicated to skeletons and fossils, and there are a lot of dinosaur species to explore! There’s also a great geology department on the grounds, as well as a Grand Gallery of Evolution. The Menagerie, which is the oldest zoo in the world, is also part of the Jardin des Plantes. You won’t find any large animals at this small zoo, but it’s still nice to take the kids for a stroll of the grounds.
- The Palais de la Decouverte (Palace of Discovery) located in the Grand Palais on the Champs-Elysées is another science museum that is popular among adults and kids. It’s a very different museum from the modern City of Children, but this definitely is part of the attraction. The beautiful museum holds lectures and also has interactive attractions for children. A lot of the exhibitions are in French though, so do come prepared with a dictionary!
- The Musée Grévin at the Boulevard Montmartre is a waxwork museum the kids especially will enjoy. From famous actors to popular singers, the kids will recognize and be able to pose alongside many wax statues of celebrities. The historic figures and local Parisian figures will give you the chance to teach the kids a bit more about French history.
Parks in Paris to take the kids
- One of the more famous parks in Paris is the Jardin du Luxembourg in the 6th Arrondissement. The garden features sprawling lawns, and has many beautiful flowerbeds, fountains and statues. The pond in front of the Palace du Luxembourg is famous for the toy boats children float on the water. You can also rent your own sailboat so the kids can float their own boats. The garden also has a large fenced-in playground where the young ones can play, and there’s a carousel and puppet theater as well.
- The Parc de la Vilette on the outskirts of the city is one of the biggest parks in Paris. If you decided to pay a visit to the Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie you can enjoy a walk in the park after. This modern park is great for picnics, and the adults can marvel at all the architectural beauty the park has to offer.
- Two other big parks, the Bois de Vincennes and Bois de Boulogne also offer sprawling parks where the kids can play and you can enjoy a bit of piece and quiet after exploring the city. In the northern part of the Bois du Boulogne you’ll find the Jardin d’Acclimatation, which is a children’s amusement park that also boasts a zoo.
- The Parc Andre-Citroen in the 15th Arrondissement is another modern park with some outstanding attractions. For instance, you can take a hot air balloon ride in the park and enjoy breathtaking views of Paris! There’re also many fountains where children can play and cool off on a hot day, and in springtime the park is dotted with beautiful flowerbeds. There’s also a greenhouse you can visit.
Paris Attractions for the whole family
- Visiting the Eiffel Tower in Paris is something that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Kids will love the view of Paris from the tower, and you can also enjoy exhibitions on the tower. To find out what you can do and see on the Eiffel Tower, see Visit the Eiffel Tower in Paris! After your visit you can enjoy a picnic with a marvelous view of the tower at the Parc du Champ-de-Mars. Don’t forget to take a lot of pictures!
- Another equally unforgettable attraction in Paris is to take a river cruise along the Seine River. You’ll be able to see many of Paris’ most famous attractions from the water without having the kids complaining about their feet getting tired.
- If the kids cannot get enough of a panoramic view of Paris, take them to climb the Tour Montparnasse, which is a 210-meter-high skyscraper (689 feet) in Montparnasse. The views of the city and the Eiffel Tower are fantastic and the kids can also enjoy an interactive display about the Tour Montparnasse.
- If there’s one attraction in Paris that’s bound to put a smile on your kids’ faces it’s Disneyland Resort Paris. Located in the eastern suburbs of Paris, the huge entertainment resort is almost too much to see in one day. The resort is made up of two parks: the fairytale themed Disneyland Park and the Walt Disney Studios Park, which is all about show business and movie production.
Stay in Paris with the kids
Furthermore, since you’re paying for the apartment and not the number of rooms, staying in a vacation rental is also a very affordable option. To find more ways to save money on your holiday to Paris, check out these money-saving tips for a family trip to Paris!
Paris Events that are great for kids
If you’ve already decided you want to take the kids to Paris for a family holiday, but haven’t decided on an exact date yet, then take these events into account when you’re planning your trip!
- Visit Paris in summer for the Paris Plages! Paris Plages are urban beaches that pop up along the banks of the Seine River in Paris every summer. The kids can play on beaches with real sand while you get to relax on one of the deck chairs. To find out more about the Paris Plages and summertime in Paris, check out Beach Fun at the Paris Plages.
- Bastille Day is the French National Day and one of the biggest holidays of the year. Every year on the 14th of July, Paris is turned into one big celebration. During the day you can enjoy a military parade on the Champs-Elysées and at night there is a fantastic display of fireworks!
- Come December you can see the beautiful Christmas decorations at the Galeries Lafayette and in other big department stores in Paris. Winter in Paris is a magical time, and there’s many hot chocolate places in Paris to keep you warm!
- In February the Paris Carnival is held, and you can see wonderful processions in the streets and enjoy a lot of great food!
- Every April the Bois de Vincennes in the 12th Arrondissement is turned into one big funfair called Foire du Trone for two months. The festival offers exhilarating rides, games and of course great food. For more information about the carnival, see Welcome Spring with the Foire du Trone in Paris.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our list of attractions in Paris that are great for kids and adults alike! What’s your favorite attraction to take the kids to in Paris?