Westminster is one of the most central neighborhoods in London. It’s roughly bordered by Mayfair and the bustling Trafalgar Square to the north, Knightsbridge and Sloane Street to the west, and the River Thames to the south and east. The neighborhood is part of the London borough City of Westminster, and not only houses some of London’s most famous landmarks, but also two beautiful parks. There are several subway stations in the neighborhood, making it really easy to travel around town. From the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace to the busy government workers around Parliament Square, you’ll feel completely immersed in London life by staying in this area. Welcome to Westminster!
Go Shopping in Westminster
- Victoria Street is the main shopping hub of the neighborhood. Between Victoria Underground Station and the crossing with Buckingham Gate, you’ll discover shops such as House of Fraser, Muji LK Bennett, and more.
- Also on Victoria Street is the Cardinal Place Shopping Centre. This shopping center is located in a beautiful modern building with a glass exterior. Inside you’ll find famous brands such as Marks & Spencer, Zara, Topshop and more.
- The nearby Victoria Station also houses several stores, such as Boots, The Body Shop, Dorothy Perkins, Ann Summers Victoria, New Look and more.
- For an entirely different experience, head to the specialty shop Shepherds Bookbinders on Rochester Row. This beautiful shop sells anything from writing goods to handmade paper. You can also take part in a bookbinding class during an in-store workshop!
- There are two great food markets in the neighborhood. Head to the Tachbrook Street Market for amazing street food ranging from Mediterranean to Japanese. The Strutton Ground Market is another great place to go for lunch, and it also has several fresh fruits and vegetable stalls.
Westminster Cafes, Restaurants and Pubs
You’ll find great cafes and restaurants in Westminster, but the many traditional pubs in the neighborhood are its true draw.
Quilon on Buckingham Gate is a southwest coastal Indian restaurant serving dishes with amazing flavors. Sake No Hana on St James’s Street is a popular and fancy Japanese restaurant. The sushi is incredibly fresh, and the sake is delicious! The Cinnamon Club is another fantastic Indian restaurant, and it’s located inside the beautiful former Westminster Library on Great Smith Street. To taste the best of both traditional and modern British cuisine, head to the iconic Whistler Restaurant at Tate Britain on Millbank.
Check out our video tour of Westminster for more great pubs in the area!
Live Like a Local in Westminster
To truly get to feel like a local, stay in an apartment in this fantastic neighborhood of London! If you’re visiting the city for a shorter period, these Westminster serviced apartments provide a great base from which to explore the city. Plus, these apartments come with fully equipped kitchens so you can try your hand at cooking your own English breakfast!
If you’re coming to London for a longer period, for example your studies or work, we have Westminster furnished apartments available, where you can truly feel at home. If you’re planning on moving or relocating to London for business, also have a look at our London corporate housing and relocation services!
What to See & Do in Westminster
Don’t forget to walk through St James’s Park itself, where you can spot the flock of pelicans! The neighboring Green Park is also delightful. If you have time, try visiting some of the serene gardens in the neighborhood, like Victoria Tower Gardens, Pimlico Gardens, Milbank Gardens, Riverside Walk Gardens, and Saint John’s Gardens.
These are just some ideas for activities, but of course there’s much more to see and do in Westminster! What’s your favorite landmark in London?