Paris, France is a unique city that offers many opportunities for visitors and locals alike. With the sun shining and the steady summertime breeze, this spectacular city will welcome you with open arms and many seasonal events. Our 2015 summer guide will give you many options for passing the time on your summertime trip to Paris.
See outdoor movies in Paris
Enjoy summer’s fresh air with an outdoor movie! There’s no need to spend an afternoon cooped up in a theater when the weather is so pleasant. The Cinema en Plein Air is an outdoor film festival held in the Prairie du Triangle in Parc de la Villette from July 22nd to August 23rd. Learn more about this famous open-air festival. Another great outdoor film festival is the Cinema au Clair de Lune. This festival will be held from July 30th to August 10th and is hosted by the Forum des Images. The festival rotates around the Arrondissements for nine nights of free films! Bring some snacks and relax under the stars while watching a classic movie. Discover our vacation rentals in the 19th Arrondissement to stay close to all the action!
Check out Paris’s summer music festivals
With such a lively music scene, the capital city of France offers many opportunities to listen to the greatest musicians around. The Fête de la Musique takes place on the summer solstice, June 21st, which is the longest day of the year. Musicians play their music on the streets and in music venues alike for all to enjoy. This festival celebrates the joys of music and is free for all to attend. Get a closer look at why this festival is loved by all! The Paris Jazz Festival is held from June 7th to July 26th at the Floral park near Chateau de Vincennes. This festival showcases the best jazz musicians from around Europe in a peaceful garden setting. If you are looking for something more upbeat, try one of the largest festivals in France: Solidays. This festival is held at the Hippodrome de Longchamp from June 26th to June 28th and raises funds to fight AIDS. Lastly, the rock festival Rock en Seine boasts performances from today’s largest music groups, including Alt-J, Tame Impala, and My Morning Jacket. Held from August 28th- August 30th, this three-day modern rock festival also has onsite camping for a very unique festival experience. Check out our guide to the best Parisian music venues too!
Visit Paris’s great cultural events
A must-see event in the summertime takes place outside the city limits! Les Grandes Eaux Nocturnes et Sérénade is a show at the Palace of Versailles that runs from June 20th to September 19th. The spectacular fireworks and water show are bound to create lasting memories for you and your loved ones.
The Paris Quartiers d’été Festival brings art and culture to the streets of Paris in various locations. From July 14th to August 9th, this cultural gathering will be sure to catch your eye.
Celebrate the history of Paris with the Journées du Patrimoine. During the third week of September, museums open their doors to the public for free guided tours. There are also many heritage trails around the city for exploring the rich history of the French capital city. We even named the Journées du Patrimoine one of Paris’s top yearly events!
Summer sporting events
One of the greatest annual sports events in France is the world famous Tour de France. This bicycle race has many stages, beginning in Utrect, The Netherlands on July 4th and concluding on July 26th at the Arc de Triomphe in the 8th Arrondissement. Discover our vacation rentals in the 8th Arrondissement so you can watch all the cyclists cross the finish line! After the athletes ride through France for weeks, witness the built-up excitement as the overall winner is announced in the capital city of Paris.
Live like a local in Paris this summer
Are you looking for a place to stay in Paris that’s more comfortable than a hotel? Enjoy the comfort of one of our Parisian vacation rentals. These fully-furnished apartments provide a sense of being at home. You’ll get more value for your dollar during the high tourist season (when hotels raise their prices) with a 30-day or less vacation rental. Are you moving to Paris for a short-term stay? Don’t settle for a confined hotel! Relax in one of our Parisian furnished apartments. Living as a local in a Parisian apartment is the best way to get the full experience that France has to offer.
Go swimming in Paris
Paris may not be located near the ocean, but it still has a clever way of bringing the beach to the city. The Paris Plages is a man-made beach along the River Seine. The city brings in tons of sand to get the authentic feel of a real beach. Take your family there and make sandcastles, or just work on your tan! Have fun in the sun and learn more about the Paris Plages. If you want to enjoy the water, visit one of the many pools in the city! The Josephine Baker Swimming Pool is located in the River Seine, so you’ll get excellent views of the boats and waves going by. Who is Josephine Baker? Discover why she is so loved in France. If you’re prone to sunburn, try an indoor pool like Chateau Landon or Butte aux Cailles. Make it a short walk away by checking out our furnished apartments in the 19th Arrondissement where these indoor pools are located.
More must-see summer events in Paris
Don’t miss these other terrific summer events that take place in the capital city!
- Enjoy major discounts on your favorite local items at the Summer Sales. From June 24th to August 4th, most Paris stores mark down their goods, so you can get the best deals! The Summer Sales are comparable to Black Friday in the U.S., but for an unbelievable six weeks.
- The Fête des Loges is the city’s oldest fair. It has many attractions, including roller coasters and carnival games. The fair takes place over the majority of the summer from June 26th to August 16th, so you have many opportunities to visit! This fair is also known for its tremendous gourmet food selection.
- Bastille Day is a massive national celebration of the liberation of the French people during the French Revolution. Every year on July 14th, this celebration’s pulse is felt throughout the entire city. Starting the day is a military parade down the Champs-Élysées, which has been an ongoing Parisian custom since 1880. Many restaurants and shops host outdoor markets for all to enjoy. At the end of the night, a magnificent fireworks show will be held at the Eiffel Tower itself. Discover why else the Champs-Élysées is so famous in Paris.
- Paris hosts its own Gay Pride Parade that brings about 700,000 viewers to the streets. Don’t miss the celebration that boasts over 80 colorful floats this year on June 27th.
- Carnaval Tropical de Paris celebrates the Caribbean population living in Paris. The annual festival takes place this year on June 28th, during which the streets of the 11th Arrondissement will be flooded with the vibrantly colored costumes of the dancers. Over 200,000 people turn out annually for this festival, so you can ensure that the event cannot be missed. Don’t be too far from all the fun of this festival! Check out our vacation rentals in the 11th Arrondissement.
Did we name all of your favorite summer events in Paris? Add to our list by leaving a comment below.